What types of information do we collect and store?
The type and amount of information we receive and store depends on how you use the website. You can access most of our pages without telling us who you are and without revealing any personal information. Our web server host collects anonymous logs during user visits to the website. This information is used to create aggregate statistics, for example about when our website is accessed, the pages which refer visitors to our site, the type of web browsers visitors use and which pages are viewed. These statistics help us understand how our site is used and provide us with valuable information for improving our site in the future.
We do not collect personally identifiable information (such as your name, address, phone number or e-mail address) on our site unless you choose to provide it, for example by participating in an online petition or web action, signing up to a newsletter or donating online. These personal details are kept confidential and are used only for the following purposes:
- We may contact you about our events, programs and campaigns and to seek your continued support.
- We may share your contact information with our local JVP chapters and affiliates, so that they may send you information about events and activities in your local area.
- We will not sell or trade your contact information.
- With the exception of #5 and #8 below, we do not share your contact information outside of JVP without first seeking your permission.
- If you take part in an online action such as a petition, your name and contact information may be provided to the target of the petition (for example, your Congressional representative.)
- In some cases, if you take part in an online action such as a petition, we may publish the fact that you signed the petition. We may publish your name, title, affiliation (such as university or union name), city and state as a signer of the petition on our website or in other publicly available materials (such as print advertising), unless you tell us not do so.
- Your information will be shared with the third parties that host our website or provide us with web-related services, including Democracy In Action.
- We may be required to disclose your personal information to (a) conform to applicable law or comply with legal process served on us or this site; (b) protect and defend our rights or property, this site or our users, and (c) act under emergency circumstances to protect the personal safety of us, our affiliates, agents, site users, or the public.
E-mail lists: if you join any of our e-mail lists, you will automatically receive information from us via e-mail. You can unsubscribe from our e-list here: http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/301/unsubscribe.jsp
A cookie is a text-only piece of information that a website transfers to your computer's hard disk so that the website can remember who you are. A cookie will normally contain the name of the internetInternet domain from which the cookie has come, the "lifetime" of the cookie, and a value, usually a randomly generated unique number.
To control how cookies are used on your computer please read the help information supplied with your internetInternet browser software.
JVP or its third party web service providers also may collect IP address of your computer. An IP address is a number that can uniquely identify a specific computer or other network device on the internetInternet. We may use analysis software to look at IP addresses and cookies for the purpose of enhancing your user experience. Such information, if collected, will not be used to develop a personal profile of you and the log files will be regularly purged.
If you have any questions relating to this policy, please address them to email@example.com